The Lewes to Haywards Heath line reopens on Tuesday 1 September, Network Rail and Southern confirm. Until then, buses no longer stop at Cooksbridge.
The railway between Lewes and Haywards Heath will reopen on Tuesday 1 September. Network Rail and Southern confirmed the date on Thursday 20 August, a week after the derailment just outside Lewes closed the line.
It is the first firm reopening date since the accident. In the days afterwards the closure ran “until further notice”. By 19 August, National Rail was saying disruption was expected until at least the end of Wednesday 26 August, and that it was likely to run on past that. The disruption page, updated at 09:20 on Sunday 23 August, now carries 1 September.
That timing is deliberate. John Whitehurst, chief executive of GTR, which runs Southern, said getting the line open in time for the end of the school holidays was “an absolute priority for us”.
One thing has changed this week
The replacement buses are still running between Haywards Heath and Lewes. They can no longer call at Cooksbridge, because of the recovery operation at the site. That is a change from last week.
If you use Cooksbridge, National Rail’s advice is:
- minibuses are available on demand at Cooksbridge for short journeys to Plumpton or Lewes
- they make return trips, so you may have to wait for one
- at Plumpton, use the emergency help point to arrange onward travel
- at Haywards Heath or Lewes, speak to station staff
Plumpton is the only intermediate stop the buses still serve.
For everything else, the arrangements are as they have been since the middle of the month:
- no direct trains between London and Eastbourne or Hastings
- for Eastbourne, travel via Brighton and change there
- for Lewes or Plumpton, travel via Haywards Heath and take the replacement bus
- for Hastings, Southeastern from London Charing Cross is the fastest route
- Southern tickets are accepted on Southern and Gatwick Express between London Victoria and Brighton, on Thameslink between London Bridge and Brighton, on Southeastern between London Charing Cross and Hastings, and on the London Underground between all London terminals
Allow at least an extra hour. Journey planners are being rebuilt daily, so a search for a date more than a day ahead may not be right.
Why it has taken three weeks
Network Rail set out what the site has needed. Three derailed carriages had to be lifted and the five that stayed on the rails had to be taken away, using two large Kirow cranes. Temporary foundations and platforms were built first so the heavy machinery could work at all. The first of the derailed carriages was lifted on the morning of Thursday 20 August.
The rest of the job is:
- removing the damaged track and the ballast that supports it
- reinstating the embankment
- reinstating the track
- testing the signalling and the other systems the railway needs
Engineers will then run a programme of testing and inspections before any passenger train uses the line.
Lucy McAuliffe, Network Rail’s Sussex route director, said the location makes that harder than it sounds. The derailment happened “in close proximity to the River Ouse”, she said, which makes reinstatement “particularly complex”, with teams working round the clock and taking care to protect the area’s ecology and the residents living nearby.
What the investigation has established
The Rail Accident Investigation Branch published its first findings on 19 August. The train was the 14:24 from London Victoria to Eastbourne. It left the rails at about 15:54 on Thursday 13 August, about a mile north of Lewes station. The rear three of its eight carriages overturned onto the embankment.
Around 150 people were on board. RAIB recorded 30 injured, with 20 needing hospital treatment.
Investigators found that a fault in the shape of the track was already visible on camera footage from trains that had passed the same spot earlier that day. Passengers have since reported rough riding there.
No cause has been established. RAIB says its analysis continues, and its full report has no publication date.
Key dates
What it means for you
If you commute to London from Lewes or Plumpton, the bus and the change at Haywards Heath are your route for one more full week. The first normal weekday service is Tuesday 1 September.
If you use Cooksbridge, do not turn up expecting a bus. Ask at the station for a minibus, and build in waiting time.
Reopening dates on this line have moved once already, and Southern’s own wording is a “planned” reopening. Check the National Rail disruption page on the morning you travel rather than assuming the date has held. Our roadworks and travel page carries the current arrangements alongside the road closures, including the A27 overnight closures past Lewes on 25 and 26 August.
If you were delayed on a journey during the closure, keep your ticket and a note of the journey. Both are needed for a compensation claim.
Have your say
We read every message. To comment on this story, email the newsdesk and we may publish a selection of responses: hello@lewespost.co.uk.